Wednesday 26 September 2012

Why and how should I Optimize or Defrag my Mac Drive


When compared to window users, Mac users like me, are more concerned about their machine performance and its maintenance. So, I too want to know how and why should I defrag my Mac drive?

I love my Mac very much so, before I use any technique or application, I always check for its reliability and risk levels. If you love your work, you should not take any risk with your vital data and always be on safer side, take a backup before going into any up-gradation of OS, any optimization technique.

During my analysis, I went through many questions and discussions. Here are some queries from many sources and their solutions by experts.
How do I actually defrag my Mac? Is it necessary to backup my all Mac files before defragmentation? How defragging optimize my Mac?

By defragmenting Mac files as the name itself gives an idea of keeping fragmented data together in order to avoid delay in performance. When we ask many Mac users about the fragmentation level of their drive, they often ask “Do I really need to Defrag my Mac.
There are many benefits of defragmentation of Mac drive, some are:-

  • Quick boot times
  • Faster access time in fetching file
  • Reduces wear on drive because read/write head of drive do not need to travel as much, when searching for a file.
As we know, Mac itself has capability to avoid fragmentation of files but up to 20MB only. So for large files, one really needs to optimize his Mac by defragmentation. A highly fragmented drive cannot perform to its optimum and thus it is always recommended to defrag the drive for routine maintenance of Mac drive and keep it optimized by using some third party tool.
  1. Use Stellar Drive Defrag software to optimize Mac performance:
This utility defrags your entire Mac files or selected files automatically, without consuming your precious time. Just what you need is to click on the desired volume or drive you want to defrag, and do whatever you wish as it does its job by own.

Its new version has many advanced features including temperature bar, which gives you temperature of your drive, so that you will aware of its rise in temperature and can act according to it. Using this tool one can also defragment boot volume.
  1. Have Patience!
If you don’t use your drive very rigorously or say you don’t run heavy application, then there is no need of defragmenting your drive too often. Actually your Mac drive has to work a lot during optimization by defragging your files (keeping related files fragments together; organize files). So, you should wait before running defragmenting process again, until and unless your Mac disk has a large percentage of fragmented files. Means if you’re utility shows you that your disk is 5%fragmented, you can afford to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To make your comment live kindly pay attention :-

Don't include spam words and
Don't give links in your comments.